Friday, July 30, 2010

Doctor Who Proms

The second ever Doctor Who Proms were on last weekend, the first ever for this new team of the Doctor and his companions. Marking the end of the 5th new Doctor Who series and a great celebration for the wonderful Doctor Who music this year.


The music of Doctor Who this series has been absolutely incredible. I know DW soundtracks were often mentioned and people always said that they were really good. But this series is really the first time, in my opinion at least, that they are so good that they became outstandingly noticable. How could anyone miss that magical theme playing in the background as the little Amelia running back upstair to get ready for her trip with the Doctor? Or what about that one when the Doctor working, without TARDIS and the sonic-screwdriver to capture Prisoner Zero and later reminding the Atraxi that the World is protected (Hello, I am the Doctor. Basically, run. - love it everytime..lol)? Also the one that played when Amy walking slowly to toward "The Sunflowers"? My heart couldn't help beating quite differently through all those songs.



"Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill. These people are TALL."

So, last weekend they had the Proms. Two Proms. For the Murry Gold music of Doctor Who. Oh, how I wish I were in London (or anywhere close enough to travel). The Proms were hosted by the three leading actors/actress - mainly by Karen Gillan and The BBC National Orchestra of Wales (the "house band" of Doctor Who) played a many selection of DW soundtracks/scores from series 5. Having always had a soft-spot for orchestra, I was completely awe-striken throughout the almost 2-hour experience on BBC iPlayer(thankfully, the radio is available everywhere). I love going to concerts, particularly the one with an orchestra or string section in it. Just even hearing a recording of a live concert usually makes my day. And this one is a Doctor Who concert!! Oh mineeee....

My particular favorites are of course my personal favorites from the TV versions. The Eleveth Doctor theme, which is entitled "I am the Doctor" in the Proms, has been a great complementary to the 11th Doctor character. It's practically an action-suitable theme with a lot-more-positive tone. The first time I heard it, I was screaming (inside, of course) like crazy that, now, at last, the Doctor is not sad anymore. LoL. Once again, my Doctor is a brilliant, adventurous, confident AND HAPPY. Hoorah! And the more I get to know Eleventh, I can hear anger and vengence in there too...lol.. gotta love that one.


They picked this scene from the Pandorica Opens to play with the Eleventh theme.
Pretty much sum up everything :D


With the first favorite being the Eleventh score, not surprisingly my another favorite is the Amy one..lol



The theme I often called Amy's Theme was actually a combination of two separate scores in the Proms - "A Mad Man with a Box" (marking the first meeting of the "Regaddy" Doctor and Amelia) and "Amy" (the score heavily used in the Pandorica Opens). Funny enough, listening to both of the scores in the Prom make me realize how different the two characters are. They are of course a single individual but from different points in time. oh, how could I not realize the obvious change? "A Mad man with a Box" is rather fairy tales-ish, mysterious and a bit full of hope, or rather a wishfulness of Amelia waiting to go on a jurney with the Doctor. The score was quite a grand-scale toward the end as well, so maybe that's Amy floating in the sky in her first trip to All of Space and Time, perhaps?

Thinking about it that way, it was only fitting to have a different score for Amy Pond as the series progressed. "Amy" is a lot more adult, realist and surprisingly sad. It sounds like something tragic happens to the character. In a strange way, I think the story of Amy - that she lost Rory, completely forgot his existence, and continued travelling with the Doctor being subconciously very sad but did not really understand it - is written all over that particular score. It's full of love, very sweet and very sad. Come to think of it, in fact she forgot a lot more than Rory. Her mom and dad, and the Doctor too. Oh no.. she pretty much had lost and could not remember all the important persons in her life at one point or another. Now, THAT was really sad. And, yet, somehow, I still can see hope in there...


It's interesting to note that "The Mad Man in a Box" was used in Amy/Amelia scenes in the Big Bang. So, she came back to be the same person who believes in the Stars and Fairy Tales at the end then ^^

It must be great to be in the Royal Albert Hall that day. Being able to listen to your favorite TV series scores played by an Orchestra is just...oh darn, would I ever get that chance?



PS. Gosh...even the Doctor was there!! I would definitely have gone hysterical..lol

No comments: