Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sherlock - The Great Game

Okay, I guess quite many people are screaming like crazy now for the last ten minutes or so of the last episode in this current run of Sherlock. I did my fair share of screaming too - at Sherlock not making decisions in a certain way. I am guessing he is not really a sociopath after all.

Last frame, almost literally

There is probably no point discussing how the story goes. There are a lot of references to several stories of Sherlock Holmes, which is a nice touch, and I have to admit that the writer is definitely a big fan of Holmes. But that's really not the point of this episode, really. By the second bomber case, I assume most viewers realized that these small cases were just a distraction from the actual national defense stolen intel case. By that time, it's just the matter of "what will happen at the end?". And that's where all my screaming - serious, actual screaming - came from.

The scene: Sherlock came to meet Moriarty with Watson being strapped in a full-suit bomb. Things happened, etc, etc. The outside scene in my viewing room: me screaming like a mad woman "pleaseeee freaking shoot him in the head!" and "Would u guys just shut up?!!" and "please shut the f-ck up already and freaking shoot him!!" and finally, right before the ending "please freaking shoot that f-cking bomb!!!". OK, it's probably very obvious what state of mind I was in.

What was I expecting? Did I think Sherlock would actually shoot? Seriously, would he do that before the end? Surely my brain knew that he wouldn't. This is the end of the 3-part miniseries. They hope to do more of this, no way they are going to actually do anything dramatic. It's just the threat that they aimed for, not the actual act itself. Oh gosh, now I kidda hate the fact that they want to do more of this. With this kind of ending, they surely will get out of this in a not-quite-so-gracious way. They surely couldn't write Sherlock actually shoot the bomb at the beginning of the next series, and kill of all the main characters. At the same time, he cannot shoot and result in no one dying. That would be real stupid, unrealistic and completely lame. So something else must happen instead, possibly with some intervention from someone else, Mycroft, maybe? But that won't be cool, would it?

Of course, I wouldn't want Sherlock to die. What would my dear Watson do? Oh well, dying along side like the way the ending "suggests" doesn't look so bad really. In fact, I would really love that ending. Just blow the whole thing up to the kingdom comes and everybody dies. LoL (okie, I guess I am the sadistic one) But they surely will NOT do that. So the next best thing is for the next series, first episode, to be the one that Watson keeps remimising about Sherlock being dead, just to find out later toward the end that he's actually safe and sound (see The Adventure of the Empty House, for what I am talking about). Guess that means I am still a bit sadistic like my first choice, but it's not as psycho, I hope :P

Well, if they don't have the next series, this is surely a great ending. But with the expectation of the next series, the ending of Great Game becomes troublesome. How would they get out of this, really?(*) I am almost certain that it is not going to be great.

PS. The pic up there is the last we see of Sherlock's face. So, did he shoot? (me answering, of course!)

PS2. I now call Holmes "Sherlock" but still call Dr. Watson "Watson". Strange.

PS3. My most favorite Sherlock Holmes story is the Sign of Four - because it's the most fun, imo.

(*) There has been a suggestion on a review blog that Sherlock pointing the gun at the bomb is more like a threat shown to all the snipers, who may not be so loyal to Moriarty. By threathening to blow the whole place up, snipers may leave them alone. OK, that sounds quite nice and definitely something I cannot think of - given my psychotic nature that prefer shoot to kill rather than shoot for survival. But maybe I couldn't possibly have thought of that reason because I always thought of the ending in the Final Problem and the Moriarty's right hand man in The Adventure of the Empty House, who was a sniper, - that guy was very loyal to Moriarty, as I interpreted. I guess for me it's like Holmes gotta have a fetal encounter with Moriarty. Only that he should have sent Watson away like in the Final Problem. THAT was sweet of him. lol

At any rate, that line of reasoning suggested on that blog provides quite a nice way out of the cliff-hanger they put themselves in. I would like that as a solution for the beginning of the next series. Something plausible, not fully logically sound but acceptable. It will do just fine.

No comments: