Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mitchell and Webb

With Doctor Who being off-screen, QI not really started, and Top Gear out for however long it is, I had been a bit stump on what would I do to serve my entertainment needs. To make the matter worse, the normal US Fall season hadn't really begun. I was left not knowing what to do.

So I was steered - yet again - back to Mitchell and Webb. The two guys who make the fantastic That Mitchell and Webb Look sketch show - the show I like so very much I kept postponing watching it. Does that make any senses? it doesn't, does it? So, please allow me to tell the story in a very roundabout, very lengthy way.. about Mitchell and Webb.


Mitchell and Webb (or Mark and Jeremy) in Peep Show

I love A Bit of Fry and Laurie. I think it's the funniest, most brilliant comic sketch show. And as not many would know, I have a very strong feeling (I think it's "love" in an absolutely platoic sense) toward both Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. It makes me watch QI, love House, read most of Stephen Fry books, discover the brilliant Jeeves stories, etc. etc. I think it must be something in the nature of sketch shows... they expose you to the writers and their inner personality. I really cannot help falling in love with people who wrote those funny and sweet sketches. I am not saying that other shows are not funny (especially Little Britian, which made me laugh like crazy). What I am saying is that I don't usually feel they are sweet. A Bit of Fry and laurie was sweet.. very sweet. And the only other show that ever provoked a very similar feeling is this one - That Mitchell and Webb Look. Now, do you understand me a little better why I resist watching it all so hard?

Still No? Oh well, let me babbling a bit more. I have seen David Mitchell in so many episodes of QI. A little shubby and doll-like-cute-looking guy whom I suspected since I saw his first QI episode that he and I must have similar experience when we were at school. Someone who loves A's, wants to be bright and outstanding, but know so well we are not the best in school. I have to admit I "identify" with him. Although... "identify" is a funny word... coz surprisingly he has done so many rants that I don't particularly agree but don't mind listening to. And yeah, that means a lot for someone who has strong opinions on so many social and moral issues and normally wouldn't bode to different opinions so well.

I did not get as much exposure to Robert Webb as I did with David Mitchell. Mostly because it had been quite difficult to find him in any stuffs outside their joint works. I heard he was (or is) the "under-appeaciated" part of the two. I am not really in any position to comment on that since I think I am positively biased toward Webb. He likes Stephen Fry. Or to make it precise, I think he worships Stephen Fry. I remember watching Stephen Fry's 50 Not Out - A documentary special celebrating Stephen Fry's 50th birthday. Robert Webb was in there and he said ".. in the dark days of being teenager, there was someone who....for a lot of people, you know, they do it through music...'oh my god, I am not alone because I had Morrisey or David Bowie..' .. all I had was Stephen Fry .. and it made all the differences.." Gosh, I gasped pretty much at that bit everytime I watched and rewatched that documentary. It would be offensive and disrespectful if I say I understand what he meant. My teenager life wasn't filled with dark days. I had no troubles, not really any problems, my life was very happy - something that seems very different from Webb's life. But oh gosh, I soo wanna say to him I know how that feels... and how much does that mean. Stragely enough, that first impression of this guy made him so memerizable for me. It also kidda make me biased toward Webb. I always feel that he's the vulnerable, shy and quite romantic one.

It had been that I couldn't help comparing and matching them with Fry and Laurie. For me, Robert Webb kind of becomes the mirror image of Hugh Laurie while David Mitchell has the image of Stephen Fry. And I think this is not a very fair opinion toward the pair. They are their own persons in their own rights. I wanted to see them as unique, as they are deservingly so, but it had always been hard. I really liked That Mitchell and Webb Look when I first saw their first episode (S1E1) on BBC America. I suspected I could grow to really really like these guys. I saw a hugh potential... which made everything so scary. If something has a potential to be great, I want to give my whole attention with a fair base for viewing. I want to like, or even love, something because I really like or love it... not because I see it as a shadow of something I am already in love with. ... I know, I know... you are thinking I am too crazy about something so marginal. ... Oh well, if you know me, you will know this kind of stuff is NOT considered marginal in my life.. LoL

As I said, it had always been hard. But recently, things seem to change quite a little. I think it must be all those QI episodes and rants stuffs I see Mitchell in. And a few more interviews I saw of the pair on youtube. I now can see them as Mitchell and Webb. I also appear to develop a very warm and welcoming feeling toward them... which results in me feeling like now I probably can watch Peep Show - it used to be too embarassing and too akward for me to watch... but more on that later I guess. Also I have a giantic hope and expectation on Peep Show... they say it's as great as the Office... and I LOVE the Office. There hasn't been any funny British sitcom I really like for such a long time. If it works, Peep Show will be such a treat ;)

Anyway, I think I can happily start watching That Mitchell and Webb Look now. Although I may run into another problem... that I know I like it so much I don't wanna run out of materials to watch. That was a sad realization when I watched A Bit of Fry and Laurie... I so want them to make more. But I guess I will have to risk that with Mitchell and Webb... and on the bright side, they are likely to have more stuffs. I begin knowing and watching them while they are still active as a pair. It wasn't as much the case for Fry and Laurie. .. I was at least 15 years late for that.


No comments: