Thursday, October 21, 2010

Those Sketches from That Mitchell and Webb


..Mitchell and Webb..

Been watching lots of M&W stuffs. Did two series of Peep Show already.. and just finished the 3rd of That Mitchell and Webb Look. Considering 'Look has always been the stuffs I like most of these guys, I am gonna make notes on some of my most favorite sketches. To my amusement, it would be nice to see which ones would end up in my top three.

Anyway, so far, the sketches I really like include....

1. Nazies - Are we the baddies?
This is the first sketch I saw of them. Also it's the first sketch of the first ever episode. Saw onn BBC America quite awhile ago. Laughed so hard and made me like the two instantly.

2. Sherlock Holmes - Dead British Actors
Two actors competing to play Holmes. On stage moment (vase incident) and the room switch are just brilliantly hysterical.

3. What do You Reckon? - Alien Invasion
The second of What do You Reckon? sketches. The end of the world is happening and what is more important than viewers' irrelavent opinions on the subject? Sooo ironic and super-funny especially for someone who hates the stupid CNN HN asking for ppl opinions, reporting what ppl ignorantly, ill-informly think about the issue rather than the actual news itself. Gosh... this just fuel my hatred so beautifully.

4. Bucket List - Die Hard
The second of the three sketches. Best friend's last request is to do Die Hard. Funny concept, funny Webb's pretend dying cough and very funny Mitchell's Welsh accent. Laughed like hell the first time I saw it.

5. Snooker's Commentators - Screw Back in Anger
It is fair to say the snooker commentators, Ted and Peter, are my most favorite recurring characters in 'Look. This is a special sketch, a documentary rather than their usual drinking/commentating sessions. Remember seeing this a long while back in a passing and liked it instantly. Probably the third most memorable sketches of them before I started to really watch 'Look.

6. Sensitive Freak Show Series -
Boy with an Arse for a Face & A Man with 19 Penises. Absolutely brilliant. Both provoke the bursting out, hysterical laughters. So wrong. So sick. And sooo funny. The first times I saw either of them, I spelt water straight out of my mouth. It's that funny.

7. Colin and Ray - "We" beat You in Football
My second favorite recurring characters - Colin and Ray. Seems like nothing special really. Just two guys sharing an office. But oh mine... the stuffs they talked about. And this one, the use of the word "we" when referring to football team is just hillarious and ironically clever (despite me seeing it in a bit different logic than Ray's).

8. Angel Summoner & BMX Bandit
The second sketch I ever saw of these two. Pretty much seal the deal. Bloody funny and so true. I often wonder about heroes that are just too powerful. They will just out-shine everyone. Like Hiro in Heroes - how the hell can anyone beat a guy who can manipulate and travel through times?!? In 'Look case, it's the guy who can summon angels. Haaaa....

I also love the Behind the Scenes sketches series... but cannot really fairly judge them. The particularly lovely/funny ones are David Wife (Keeley is clearly out of David's league, but isn't that make it lovelier?), Nude Costume - Police Stripper Aftermatch (Robb is really fit), Subtext-Predictive text, Unisex Nudist Sauna (..before her.. before her... before him) and David & Rob Action Figures (.. comes w/ spare t-shirt... is that it?!?). See how many I put there? Told ya I am very biased toward this particular set of sketches.

There are some other very funny sketches that probably make it to other ppl best sketches list. These are some that I particular fancy but they just don't create the same feeling as the ones listed above. The examples of these are the Evil Genius, the Dog Cannon, How Not What to Look Like, My Butler, Captain's New Land Naming and Vegetarians (really admiring the last one..haa).

There are lots of radio sketches that are funny like hell. but they should be discussed later when I really talked about 'Sound. ;)

Special Recognitions:
There are some sketches that are not necessarily super funny. But they just amaze me so much, either by how well they are made, how clever the plots are, or how well they are acted out. So here are the special recognition sketches.

1. Numberwang Code
Numberwang quiz show made into parody of the Da Vinci Code. Really really well made. Look just like a movie trailer. Cannot help hoping they actually made this movie. It's just fantastic.

2. Elderly Holmes and Watson
The most touching 'Look sketch... arguably the best acted out sketch of the guys. Incidentally it's also the last sketch in series 4. A sad and very touching tribute to Holmes and Watson of old ages. Very loyal Watson and poor dementia Holmes. First time I saw this (accidentally, again, I might add), it was like getting hit by a car. Couldn't say a word and couldn't stop tears. Funnily, I didn't laugh one bit. I love Holmes and Watson, it's so sad seeing them that way but I also can feel that people who make this sketch love Holmes and Watson too. (PS. Meditation from Thai is a low blow for me though.. lol)


The Title Scene.. made by Aardman too. Hoorah

No comments: