Regardless of what I am saying in this article, this particular sketch is VERY funnyI am eating up my Mitchell and Webb DVDs way too quickly. Currently, I am at the 5th episode of 'Look 4 and just finished 4th series of Peep Show. Only got two episodes left for 'Look and 2 series of Peep Show on dvds + one that is coming out in UK around Thanksgiving. And that's it. Damnnn....
'Look 4 so far has been... interesting, if that is the right word. There are many sketches that make me laugh like crazy. But there are also lots of them that I don't really like in term of style. It may sound funny, really, but generally I see 'Look as having a particular style. Something I really like. It's sweet and soft but can go quite political. They are also pretty mild in term of visuals. Very comforting and beautiful, I might add. But for 'Look 4, there are plenty of sketches that make me wonder if I am actually watching 'Look. They are so different in comedy style that I am not so certain I would like it. This is very alarming to me. I really feel like I am losing the sketch shows I love. I am not saying it's not funny, that's not really my concern, I am very worried that it's turning into something I totally do not understand becuase of sketches that I cannot see the appeals.
I am blaming it on the writers. As publically known, 'Look series are written by many people besides Mitchell and Webb. Especially after series One, these people are responsible for more than half of the show writings (i would even say 70% of writing). But generally, they are composed of people who has been written for the TV shows and the radio shows since the earlier stage. Somehow they have the style that is not too far out from Mitchell and Webb sketches (which I have to add I particularly like and generally in favor of). This 'Look 4, however, has new people and I can see from the list of sketch writers that the components of sketch writers changes quite dramatically in some episodes. Particualrly, episode 3 and 4 of Look 4. There are so many sketches that left me like '.. wha..da?? what the hell has just happened?' These sketches contain comic style that is too uncomforting to me. It's too brash, too sugar-candy, not my usual comfy, smooth, intellectually dark as I am used to. What the heck happened to my dear 'Look?!?
'Look 4 so far has been... interesting, if that is the right word. There are many sketches that make me laugh like crazy. But there are also lots of them that I don't really like in term of style. It may sound funny, really, but generally I see 'Look as having a particular style. Something I really like. It's sweet and soft but can go quite political. They are also pretty mild in term of visuals. Very comforting and beautiful, I might add. But for 'Look 4, there are plenty of sketches that make me wonder if I am actually watching 'Look. They are so different in comedy style that I am not so certain I would like it. This is very alarming to me. I really feel like I am losing the sketch shows I love. I am not saying it's not funny, that's not really my concern, I am very worried that it's turning into something I totally do not understand becuase of sketches that I cannot see the appeals.
I am blaming it on the writers. As publically known, 'Look series are written by many people besides Mitchell and Webb. Especially after series One, these people are responsible for more than half of the show writings (i would even say 70% of writing). But generally, they are composed of people who has been written for the TV shows and the radio shows since the earlier stage. Somehow they have the style that is not too far out from Mitchell and Webb sketches (which I have to add I particularly like and generally in favor of). This 'Look 4, however, has new people and I can see from the list of sketch writers that the components of sketch writers changes quite dramatically in some episodes. Particualrly, episode 3 and 4 of Look 4. There are so many sketches that left me like '.. wha..da?? what the hell has just happened?' These sketches contain comic style that is too uncomforting to me. It's too brash, too sugar-candy, not my usual comfy, smooth, intellectually dark as I am used to. What the heck happened to my dear 'Look?!?
.. This one also had me in tears... laughing so hard my stomach hurted....Interestingly, I find that if I am to select some particular sketches from these episodes and rearrange it into one 30-minute episode, it will be 'Look as I like. Somehow having lots of sketches that I don't really appreciate they stylistic senses really kill the rest of the sketches for me. I didn't laugh much at all for the 4th episode even though it contains some of sketches that I really like from watching in youtube ('Tiny Office: Sexual harassment', 'Kill the Poor' and 'Slightly Drunk Illuminati' sketches are three brilliant ones in my opinion.) I really think the other what-the-hell sketches killed them for me. This is very alarming.
At any rate, I scouted the sketches writers for the last two episodes and found familiar names. More excitingly, there are more sketches from Mitchell and Webb than most of other episodes. So that's something to look forward to. Lemme see how things work out for the last two episodes... and I will come back to conclude how 'Look 4 works for me.
PS. The red-button behind-the-scene sketches are not included in the dvds. Why?!?!!?? Some of them are super hillarious. This is not right.. noooo.....
At any rate, I scouted the sketches writers for the last two episodes and found familiar names. More excitingly, there are more sketches from Mitchell and Webb than most of other episodes. So that's something to look forward to. Lemme see how things work out for the last two episodes... and I will come back to conclude how 'Look 4 works for me.
PS. The red-button behind-the-scene sketches are not included in the dvds. Why?!?!!?? Some of them are super hillarious. This is not right.. noooo.....
No comments:
Post a Comment